Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Creation Is in Your Own Hands


by Michelle Dority Kroll


“It is our very nature to create.” –Matthew Fox

It is definitely in my very nature to create. When I see an object, I wonder, “how was that made?”

That is how our society has matured. It is the nature of humans to create. As a society we are constantly looking for ways to make things faster, better, stronger. While there are those who are looking to expedite life, there are those of us who work in reverse -- the crafters and creators of the world.

When I am in that creative state, I want life to slow down. I want to start from scratch. If I want instant gratification, I can go buy a basket or a sweater. But, isn’t it much more gratifying to use your own hands? Making it yourself you can produce it to your own specifications. What material will you use? A basket, made of reed? Wood? Pine needles? What yarn do you favor? Are you allergic to wool, but like the pattern? Create the item to your liking. The key is simply to create.

I hear some of you saying that you aren’t artistic or creative. Hafiz tells us that “all the talents of God are within you.” Maybe you can’t knit in a straight line, or weave with reed or wool. But maybe you are the best baker on the block. Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr. says “If you are called to be a street sweeper, sweep streets even as Michelangelo painted, or Beethoven composed music, or Shakespeare wrote poetry.”

So what I say to you is find your street sweeper. Find your art, your craft, find that passion that keeps you going. For me, it is creating all things. I always have to have my hands in the pot of creation. Currently it is still knitting. But, my loom has been calling to me for some time now. So, perhaps it is time for more cloth. Whatever it will be, I know it will be made by me!

“Only creating can make us happy. For in creating we tap into the deepest powers of self and universe and the Divine Self.” –Matthew Fox

1 comment:

  1. Michelle, I've been in a woman's writing class for close to a year now at CCC. When I entered the writing contest at Marylhurst this last term, it was simply to say "I did it!". I wrote from my innermost place of expeprience, inspired by the New York poet Jay Leeming. He said to me, "write what keeps you connected to the joys of language and imagination." Out of that creation came the most wonderful sense of well being. When I received the notification that I took second place in the poetry division, I was dumb struck, but yet again compelled to create more. I wrote a book of poetry for my dad for Father's Day. Now that I'm working on my second book for my best friend for her birthday, I'm looking for a quote that resonates with me, and I'm thinking I may have to use one of your Matthew Fox's quotes.
    THANK YOU
    Nancilee

    ReplyDelete