Thursday, November 4, 2010

Are You Passionately Living


By: Lynn McFarland

Confucius said, “wherever you go, go with all your heart.” It may sound like a catch phrase or redundant message, but it’s not. I was listening to an audio CD that arrived via Success Magazine when I heard an incredible interview with the founders of Invisible Children (A non-profit that works with war affected children in East Africa). In that conversation they relay the following message; “Don’t ask yourself what the world needs, do what makes you come alive, because that’s what the world needs.” This speaks to passion and heart! The world needs more people who are passionate about something. How does this tie into Confucius’ advice?

We all fill up our allotted 24 hours each day working, playing, praying and running ourselves ragged. But, what part of our 24 hours is spent being passionate about what we’re doing? Do we live to unload the dishwasher every night? Are we ecstatic about the next load of laundry or traffic jam we need to sit in? Do we express gratitude sitting at our kids’ soccer games in the freezing rain and cold? What about being with someone we love, is that where our passion lies?

I like to think I live my passion every day, but I don’t. I’m not always contemplative and aware of where my heart is going at any given minute. I get lazy, complacent and say to myself; “Someday I will be great! Someday I will get my new business off the ground, lose the weight, spend less money etc.” Then I remind myself of the advice Dad gave me, “Someday is not a day of the week Lynn.” Be concrete, set goals and make things happen.

I know, easier said than done when we are bogged down with life. The quote from Confucius is obviously a metaphor. He’s not speaking about our physical heart; of course we take that with us wherever we go. Rather, he is speaking to what fuels our passion in life. Whatever that passion is for you, feed it with your whole heart. The world needs more people who are willing to replace mediocrity for excellence in whatever they choose to do!

“Time does not change us, it unfolds us.” Mark Frisch

Allow yourself some time to unfold by practicing what you are passionate about.

Let’s start the conversation…what is your passion?

1 comment:

  1. Lyn, Loved what your dad said about "someday"! I need to keep that in mind! Chris Z.

    ReplyDelete