Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Spiritual Ancestors


Reflection by Joyce Rupp



“I have always been drawn to the Feast of All Saints. It is a time to remember with gratitude all those persons whose goodness has inspired me in my beliefs and given me courage to act on what I believe. It is a day to acknowledge that these holy men and women have helped me find my own potential for goodness.


I think of “saints” as not only those women and men who have been canonized by the church, but all people whose lives reflect the goodness of God. Saints are not perfect people. They have their faults, idiosyncrasies and weaknesses. They have their own struggles and difficulties. Even the canonized ones are noted to have been difficult to live with because of some of their unique mannerisms. Yet, the saints are people of integrity. They have a central focus at the core of their lives: the love of God. They consistently choose to act out of that central reality, no matter how ordinary or extraordinary their lives may be.


As we celebrate this feast on November 1st, we gather to commemorate not just the martyrs or people we might tend to put on spiritual pedestals, but all those people who have drawn us to God because of who they are and how they lived.”


Reflect today on the saints in your life and how you have grown closer to God through them.

No comments:

Post a Comment